Longtime Virginia Employee Enjoys Family Feel of RMS

Kim Grippe started with the Virginia Road Machinery & Supplies Co. branch in 1979 at the recommendation of one of her neighbors. Growing up on the Iron Range in Biwabik, Minn., the idea of working in heavy equipment wasn’t foreign to Kim, it was encouraging.

“I always wanted to be in this kind of work,” Kim explained. “My dad and family all worked in the mines, so I wanted to be in that area. I had just finished technical school, so I applied and got the job.”

Fresh out of school, Kim started at the Virginia branch as Service Clerk. The next 22 years saw Kim move around the branch, taking new jobs and picking up more responsibilities. Her role grew to include warranty work and eventually a position as the Parts Clerk.

“I just always felt good working here,” noted Kim. “This area and the industries we serve are close-knit, and we look out for each other, and RMS really represents that approach.”

Kim no doubt would have an uninterrupted 42-year run at RMS if it weren’t for the shutdown of the local LTV Steel Mining Company that forced layoffs at the branch and across the Iron Range in early 2000. Regardless, Kim always hoped an opportunity to return to RMS would come up.

In 2011, it did.

“I definitely wanted to come back, and one day the receptionist retired, and I applied,” Kim recalled. “I got the job. And I’m still here!”

Road Machinery & Supplies Co. as always been a special place for Kim.

“I just really feel treated well, and I always have,” said Kim. “The Sill family, from Mitch to Mike to Mike II, have always checked in and made it feel like a family. Even my kids were welcomed. It’s nice.”

For Kim, there is no secret to success in her role.

“I just enjoy it. I enjoy the people. I enjoy the work. Customers are all friendly, and it’s great to see them and continue those relationships.”

Employees with careers that mirror Kim’s are valuable assets. She has been able to see RMS grow and evolve first-hand for parts of six different decades. Through it all, Kim says the connective thread for RMS’ growth has creating and fostering a family feel while doing what it takes to remain successful.

“In my time, RMS has not been afraid to change and adapt,” she said. “Doing things the same old way has never been the way RMS operates. It has always looked to improve.

“However, the thing that I will always remember the most is the family feeling,” said Kim. “It just seems like we all know each other, and we know their kids, and we know what they’ve done. It’s just fun to have that feeling.”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lance Arnett joins Road Machinery & Supplies Co. as Vice President, Product Support

RMS Delivers PC7000 Komatsu Excavator

Ben Schmidtlein promoted to Vice President of Aggregate