Iowa Technology Solutions Expert Relishes Opportunity to Switch to New Position

Tyler Sherrill’s short time at Road Machinery & Supplies Co. has been anything but typical. He joined RMS in 2019 as a Territory Manager in Virginia, Minn., but just 10 months into the role, Sherrill was attending a motocross race when a bike flew off the track and collided with him. 

“I suffered a traumatic brain injury and was in an induced coma for about a week,” recalled Tyler. “For the next five months I was doing physical therapy and undergoing surgeries. I didn’t know what was going on for a while, it was difficult. Through a lot of hard work, I was able to recover.”

 

The process back was a tedious one. In addition to re-learning how to do basic motor skills and undergoing physical therapy, Tyler still had to build his stamina as he was returning to work.

 

“I would have to take a nap during the day because I was so exhausted,” he noted. “I also had light sensitivity and other injuries that were still healing as well. It wasn’t easy.”

 

Through it all, Tyler notes that RMS was there for him.

 

“They were great,” he said. “I was out for a long time, and they were patient with me. They knew the injury was serious, and they also understood that the recovery part was going to take time. They trusted that I was doing what I needed to do to get back.”

 

Back to nearly 100 percent, Tyler’s path at RMS is again experiencing another seismic change as he accepted a position as the Technology Solutions Expert (TSE) for the state of Iowa. This change, however, is much more positive.

 

“Ever since intelligent Machine Control equipment has been on the market, I’ve been really interested in it,” said Tyler. “I was an operator when the first D61PXi came out, and the company I was with put me charge of figuring out how to get it set up and running. I fell in love with it. I thought it was one of the coolest things at the time.

 

“The idea of becoming a TSE came up last December when I sold a PC490LCi. It was the first intelligent excavator sold in northern Minnesota, and (RMS TSE) Chris Potter was up frequently to help with the training and set up of the machine. We talked a lot, and he said RMS was looking to add a TSE in Iowa. I’m from Iowa and have a lot of family there, so the decision was easy. It all worked out.”

 

Tyler says his familiarity operating, selling, and using the technology will serve him well in this role. 

 

“My background will allow me to be a great resource for customers and the sales team in Iowa,” he said. “I am confident about my knowledge of the technology, and I’m also passionate about it.”

 

So how does Tyler follow up a two-year span that included a serious injury and a major move all during a pandemic? By getting married.

 

“My fiancĂ©e, Jessica, and I plan on having a wedding once we get settled after the move,” he said. “We had the venue and everything set but decided to put it on hold for now until we get through this process.”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lance Arnett joins Road Machinery & Supplies Co. as Vice President, Product Support

RMS Delivers PC7000 Komatsu Excavator

Russell Sheaffer named AED Board Director at Large